Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquake!

While I am sure everyone knows about/has blogged about the recent earthquake to hit Richmond, I wanted to post about it for posterity's sake.  We make our blog into a book each year so that I don't have to use the hundreds of dollars worth of scrapbooking materials I have. :)


On Tuesday August 23rd, around 1:51 p.m. a 15 second tremor measuring a 5.8 on the Richter scale hit Richmond. I was in the kitchen cleaning, Camri was watching "Dora", and Capri was sleeping upstairs when I noticed the windows and ground started shaking. I was wondering what kind of craziness our maintenance men were up to and chalked it up to construction error of some sort. I ran to  the window, and when I saw no sign of construction, I finally put 2 and 2 together. It was an earthquake. I have never been in any kind of natural disaster, so I grabbed Camri and we stood in the doorway. It seemed that it was getting stronger, so I told Camri to stay in the doorway while I ran up to get Capri. Shortly after that, it stopped. It was eerily still. I think I was still in disbelief. I heard my neighbors outside, so I went out to confirm that I wasn't in some sort of physchosis, and that the ground had in fact been moving. Everyone was astounded. Apparently the East coast hasn't seen an earthquake of this magnitude for 115 years. It was felt all along the east coast from New York to S. Carolina. The scariest part was that  I couldn't get a hold of Steve at school for a minute, but then he finally got through to my phone and we were able to talk. The damage was very minimal, I don't think it did anything to our house, except scare the daylights out of me! Camri was irritated she had to stop watching "Dora" to stand in the doorway while Mommy hyperventilated, and Capri slept through it. 
Later that night at around 8 p.m. we felt an aftershock that was a 4.2. We have had several other, smaller aftershocks the last couple of days too. Talk about crazy! It has me all shook up and thinking about what I would do if I were home alone with the girls and something major happened. We are just so grateful that it was minimally damaging, and that no one was hurt. It does get you thinking about what we need to be doing to be prepared!  

2 comments:

Furniss Family said...

That was so crazy wasn't it!! You acted the same as me, just wondering if I was seeing things at first and after a few seconds realized it was an earthquake. We were at the swimming pool, just about ready to leave, when I looked at the van and it was rocking back and forth I wondered what in the world was going on at first, then after I realized what had happened I grabbed the kids and got home quick. I had no idea if it was going to get worse. Glad it wasn't!! I was crazy, but kinda cool too :) Hope you guys are doing great!

Andrew and Heather said...

That is so scary! I would freak out a lot! I do when we get tornado warnings but nothing ever actually happens, we just sit in our bathroom for hours and hope nothing ever does! These type of thing only seem to happen when husbands are gone as well!